The Great VHS Collection Review #3: Arachnophobia (1990)

The Great VHS Collection Review #3: Arachnophobia(1990)




I think in this first couple of reviews I have been a little harsh and negative (even if the animated Narnia movie is an ironic masterpiece), so for this one I will talk about a movie that I actually like and find is ignored in favor of Gremlins and Poltergeist in terms of suburban horror. In fact I think watching these three movies together would be a fascinating experience, the millennial scaring trilogy.

The film is about a family dealing with incredibly venomous (and one cat sized) spiders, spiders that can kill with a single bite. Naturally this is not a film for anyone who actually suffers from arachnophobia, the suspense scenes are well made and timed perfectly. Watching it as an adult it is easy to see how this scared so many people when they were kids. Looking back at it now it’s not quite as scary as it could have been, it is definitely more comedy than horror. That being said the first death is done quite well and it did give me chills the first time I saw it.

Overall the movie is quite good and I honestly wish it was remembered as well as Gremlins and Poltergeist, even if those movies are definitely better. That being said, don't kill random spiders because of this movie, the spiders in this movie don’t exist and normal spiders eat mosquitoes and protect us from malaria.

Rating: Awesome piece of anti-spider propaganda

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Vhs Collection Review #6: Heavy Metal (1981)

Cammy - Chapter 2 By Corey R.